Online faxing is an integral part of your business process automation. It helps you to completely rid yourself of all traditional telephony infrastructure including fax boards, telephone circuits, POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service), long-distance carriers, and fax machines. Apart from convenience, online faxing services commits protection of your and your customer’s private & confidential information, be it for the healthcare sector, financial sector, or any other industry falling under regulatory compliance like Ontario Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA). HIPAA, SOX, GLBA, PCI and FERPA.
Despite numerous benefits, you may be asking, is online fax secure? So, let’s see what security features you should look for in your online fax service:
Data in online faxing should be transferred through an end-to-end encrypted communication channel until the customer’s browser. And, the server to fax telephony communication should be secured by an end to end HTTPS encrypted secure communication channel.
Fax images “at rest” on the fax server and “in transit” should be encrypted with an AES 256 symmetric algorithm so only the user the fax is assigned to, has the key to decrypt and view the fax.
During the fax-in-transit period, all fax image data should reside in temporary data storage and should remain encrypted preventing even your service provider from observing the contents of the fax image/content. The faxes can be deleted as within 24 hours after the receipt of the faxes has been confirmed and if any data is stored in servers for any period.
The customer’s data should only accessible to authorized owners of the data. The files are AES256 bit encrypted and can only be accessed by the user upon a valid login. All connections to the portal during login are SSL encrypted.
Two-factor authentication should be built into the fax server application as a core service. Users should be enabled to authenticate their accounts using Google Authenticator/Authy or email. And, one may log into the online fax service with your account in Azure AD, Microsoft Account, LinkedIn, Google, Twitter, and Facebook. For the Azure AD environment, user registration should be allowed to eliminate the need to sync users between AD and your faxing service daily.
There should be built-in Captcha service available, when enabled, operates as another layer to reduce spam by bots.
The online fax service providers should be hosted on Microsoft Azure infrastructure which has achieved SOC 1 Type 2, SOC 2 Type 2, and SOC 3 certifications and is fully compliant with Service Organization Controls (SOC) standards for operational security.
Online Faxing Service in Canada
Connectis Group FaxCloud.biz is the leading online fax service provider in Canada and can manage your fax needs for any industry or organization, including legal contracts, financial services, healthcare services, real estate documents, and others.
Being in the document process automation sector for over 35 years and the exclusive provider of FaxCore, OpenText RightFax and etherFAX solutions in Canada.
Faxcloud- “Defence in Depth”
- Multiple layers of security that provide our customers an even greater level of protection against eavesdropping or other forms of cyber attacks
- All your data resides in Canada and we can also ensure your fax traffic hops only via the Canadian telco providers.
- Regulatory compliance by providing 256-bit TLS encryption with 2048 bits RSA public key and Tier-3 secure servers.
- The FaxCloud network and related systems hosted in Microsoft Azure have been designed to tolerate hardware or system failures with near-zero customer impact.
- Our high availability is achieved using duplicated web services, fax transport systems, telephony infrastructure, carrier interconnects, networking and load balancing hardware, as well as redundant data center sites in the event of a catastrophic failure.